Cool, Matt!

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Mar 4 14:15:57 PST 2005

Matt Olander wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:29:15PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>

>>Matt Olander <matt at offmyserver.com> writes:
>>

>>>Me: Hi, this is Matt calling on behalf of the FreeBSD project, [...]
>>>

>>That was a gross misrepresentation.
>>

>Yeah, now if only we can get more and more people to misrepresent
>themselves :-P
>
>-matt

I guess it's possible that it was a "gross misrepresentation", but
why should we be seen as picking on Matt?  (Maybe you're not,
I can't say as I can tell just by reading).  I'd characterize his
advocacy of FreeBSD as "visible and valuable", and in the US
many people believed Leo Laporte when he said "they're both
members of the FreeBSD Project" in regard to Matt and Brooks
Davis.  Leo may have been wrong, but he apparently believed
that Matt (and Brooks) represented the Project.  At the very
least, they were doing so on that TV show.*

Maybe I misinterpret?  Heck, this could be an "inside joke" I'm
sticking my nose into.  I"m sure not trying to offend anyone.

Ok, then ... advocacy:  I note that Pixar is looking for a Render
Farm sysadmin.  Maybe we need a FBSD guy in that job....

Kevin Kinsey

{*It kinda begs the question of who one is representing when
(s)he advocates FreeBSD, and at what point one's contributions
make him/her part of the "Project".  The "contributing" article,
for example, states in part: "The Project includes documentation
writers, Web designers, and support people."  By that definition,
since somebody on doc@ has committed some text I typed to the
doc tree, I could say, "I'm part of the FreeBSD Project".}