Explaining FreeBSD features

Johnson David davidjohnson at siemens.com
Thu Jun 23 17:16:09 GMT 2005

From: cali [mailto:calculus at softhome.net]

> The idea is, the newbie gets repeatedly told "RTFM", so that eventually
> they get the idea that they must work it out for themselves because they
> develop this inner fear of asking for help and being ridiculed, ie they
> don't want to portray themselves as a "lamer". Usually it works.

If by "works", you mean people leave the community, then you are correct. We
all know what "F" in "RTFM" means. While we may not say it with those words
anymore, we still often say it with the same abusive attitude. It's far more
productive to say "RTM" than "RTFM".

It is an unfortunate fact that many other communities have trained their
users to never read their manuals. Some communities don't even have decent
manuals to read. We should not be punishing these users for their ignorance
on the proper means to ask questions. Let them "RTM". The next time tell
them "RTM on page 29". If they say they've read the manual but haven't, tell
them "sorry", but don't abuse them. They're not lying so much as doing what
they've been trained to do. Only when they persist in not reading the manual
so you flame them a new orafice. And then do it off list.

David