Explaining FreeBSD features

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Wed Jun 22 03:43:52 GMT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:05:32 -0700
"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Nah, you can be willing to learn as well. FreeBSD was my first
venture in to the world of UNIX.

My choice was I found finding info on it easier than Linux and I had
some one willing to teach me.

> Windows and Linux solved this Catch-22 by dumbing-down the
> interface to their operating systems.  Thus, an ignoramus
> can get up and running with both of these systems, and that
> person can remain fat, dumb, and happy, completely ignorant
> of what he is doing, and those systems will still work enough
> to get the job done.  It may be a half-assed fix, but it is
> better than nothing.

Not in the case of FreeBSD. In the case of FreeBSD, it would be a bad
idea. It would result in a lot of badly supported users.

It can be done, but with a system based on FreeBSD, with a something
layed over it to help those people out.

Ignorant useless users should be supported by commercial ventures,
not community ones. They will just drag the community down with their
weight if they don't help out.

> FreeBSD by contrast, long ago decided not to do this.  For
> starters, if you dumbed-down the FreeBSD interface, then to
> most people FreeBSD wouldn't be any different than Linux
> or Windows, so why mess with it?  But, most importantly, a
> dumbed-down interface gets in the way of a knowledgeable person,
> and over time becomes a tremendous liability.
>
> With FreeBSD, the only way that a newbie can break the Catch-22 is
> old-fashioned mental elbow grease.  In short, by learning a bit
> at a time, expanding on that, and repeating the process.  It is a
> long slow way to get to know anything, but once you get there, you
> really do know everything in intimate detail.

I found the handbook to be useful in this area.