Explaining FreeBSD features

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Jun 21 02:03:03 GMT 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 07:37 pm, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> *snip*
>
> >>FreeBSD is a typical system driven by technical people.
> >
> > Clearly its weakest point.
>
> Once again, that depends on your audience. If you ask me, its one
> of FreeBSD's strongest points.
> Im one of those "technical people", and the main reason I like
> BSD is that its not "dumbed down". It does require atleast a
> minimal amount of clue, and it does not take for granted that the
> user is an idiot.
>
> --

I am not one of the those technical people.  From a non-tech's
viewpoint, it is a demanding operating system; but I am a more
competent and more responsible computer user for the trouble.  Maybe
that's a good point to explore:  convenience rarely breeds
responsibility.  (What's the line from spiderman?..."with great power
comes great responsibility"?)  Put another way:  The best things in
life are earned.

Fafa, Roger is right about analyzing/choosing your audience.  If your
audience would be truly interested in FreeBSD, don't underestimate them
(but make sure to provide a list of references for further reading).
If they need the discussion "dumbed down", your probably wasting both
your time and theirs.

I could be completely wrong; but that's my 2 cents.

Andrew Gould