Negative Review of FreeBSD 5.4

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 10:00:58 PDT 2005

On 6/5/05, Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:
> Astrodog <astrodog at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you aren't familier enough with something to evaluate it, you
> > shouldn't review it.
>
> On the other hand, the reviewer should be neutral, which in this
> area is strongly at odds with familiarity of the review subject.

It doesn't take long, on the lists, and reading docs, to be pretty
familier with FreeBSD.

> > I've done plenty of evaluations of software for customers of mine,
> > and I certainly don't just go through the install process, say "This
> > sucks" and move on to the next product.
>
> I'm sorry, but you are not in a position to judge your own review
> process.  For that we need a third party observer.  And for all I
> know, the producers of the software you evaluated might be aghast
> at your process.

I certainly can't say if my reviews are great or not. What I can say,
however, is that I don't just run the installer, and determine at that
point what the software is good for.

> > I'm aware writing a review is incredibly difficult, however, I would
> > suggest that one simply not write a review, if they are unwilling, or
> > unable to meet the standard required by the technical audience their
> > review is targeted at.
>
> Which is why reviews are written by those who don't have these
> qualms.

And why I'll continue to point out factual inaccuracies in said reviews.