Negative Review of FreeBSD 5.4

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Thu Jun 2 10:31:07 PDT 2005

Hi,

I do not think that this guy is that wrong.

It was not the best move to declare 5.3 usable for production. Not even 5.4.

It is not a single major problem in there, it is the number of little,
little problems which can run people crazy who have to keep a web- or
any other server up and running.

Even upgrading to 5.4 was not 100% perfect for me. 99,9% is not enough
if a company waits behind your back to start work.

Do not get me wrong. I think the problems with FreeBSD 5.x are real
minor things, only the label 'production' is what bothers. One more
round with 4.11 as production and at least 5.3 with some other sticker
would have been better for FreeBSD's reputation.

It is not the technical guys who decide finally which operating system
is used in a company. But those guys take this kind of articles as a
base for a 'no' to the usage of FreeBSD.

Erich