FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Sun Jul 3 00:10:34 GMT 2005

jsha wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am writing this e-mail hoping that someone will share my thoughts
> on how the world's best operating system should represent its attributes
> and users to the rest of the world.

I am new to FreeBSD, only one month of use or so. I come from Debian
GNU/Linux world and only want to say some toughts:

> Being an architect as well as graphic designer, I feel it is about time
> for a complete revamp of the visual aesthetics of the FreeBSD project.
> The current logo and everything pertaining to it has long since lost its
> modern touch. I believe that if this image is strenghtened, so is the
> way outsiders view the FreeBSD project and the way they would judge it
> compared to other open source operating systems.
>
> 1. Not only is the logo misleading (associating evil) but it also looks
>    like something 10-year-olds could produce in Paint Shop Pro ten years
>    ago. OpenBSD has an artistic touch to theirs, however I was very
>    disappointed when I heard that the new NetBSD logo was in effect.

I really like the devil, it is nice and pleasant for me.

> 2. If it wasn't for the interesting content and structure of the FreeBSD
>    website, it would be among the less beautiful. Yes, it serves its
>    purpose well by being simple and straight to the point. But a redesign
>    could offer just the same -- simplicity and accuracy -- without being
>    ugly.

The WEB is great!, I like WEBs with no images moving around! Debian WEB
(www.debian.org) and FreeBSD WEB pages are simliar in aesthetics and I
feel confortable.

> 3. The installation, even though it's text-only, could also be improved
>    by simple restructuring to act more cognitive and human-centered than
>    previously. Everything pertaining to the eye is important to improve.

The instalation program is reasonably good , once you do a couple of
installs you can do it without thinking too much.

<snip>

Enjoy FreeBSD.

Ramiro.