freebsd-users list - semi regular post

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 23 10:49:45 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Josef El-Rayes wrote:

> Christopher Mark Conn <cmc3list-bsd at yahoo.com>:
> > > please stop that spamming, there are other ways
> > > to promote your list.
> >
> > I welcome your suggestions on other ways to promote
> > the list, Josef.
> >
> > But my posts are not spam, they're announcements.
>
> sure, and i appreciate your effort, but imagine how it would be if every
> freebsd related website, mailinglist usergroup and so on would do this
> kind of regular announcements?

While spamming is probably a bad thing, one of the things the FreeBSD
Project hasn't done such a great job in supporting in the past is third
party sites that provide FreeBSD-related services, lists, web pages, etc.
My feeling has always been that we should try to do a better job about
this, although I'm not sure of exactly what steps we should take.  As
such, I think that an occasional post here and there, or maybe just after
a list has been started, makes a lot of sense and is something we should
avoid treading on.  If someone wants to run more FreeBSD mailing lists, by
all means we should help them :-).

Robert N M Watson