Assuming We Want FreeBSD to Grow: Who Is It For?

RacerX racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Feb 16 11:41:25 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> RacerX writes:
>
>> One last time - FBSD IS a viable desktop OS - Stop the blanket personal
>> view as gospel that it's not.
>
> I'm not the one with the religious viewpoint.  For better or worse, I
> see things as they actually are.
>
> --
> Anthony

Nor am I - However, I am not foolhearty enough to proclaim FBSD is NOT a
viable desktop OS. *I* am not the one makeing a blanket commant as you
are. As I have stated before - it IS a viable desktop OS. If users want to
use it as such, if they are intelegent enough, they can, they will,
and they have done just that...

What YOU want to do and have done, is make it so NO user has the option to
use FBSD as a desktop. I don't bash anyone for using Windows as a server.
They do so for what ever reason. They use Windows as a desktop OS - that's
fine. Is it wrong that they use Windows for a server platform - to me,
(and note, I said to me. I did not make a blanket comment) it just may be
wrong. Am I out trying to tell users that they ought not use Windows of
the server? No - that would be wrong on my part.

You see the basic and fundemental differance betwix you and I is simply
this:

I want users to have a choice for both. I won't make a sweping comment
like you are doing. You want them to choose only one for server and something
else for the desktop by what YOU deem to be correct. Remember; you are not
all knowing. You don't know what good for all.

Let the common-man have Windows... Let the capable user choose FreeBSD, or
NetBSD or OpenBSD or anything he/she wants for a desktop.

Don't make the decision for them - afterall, isnt that what Bill Gates has
done?

Best regards,
Chris