Assuming We Want FreeBSD to Grow: Who Is It For?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Tue Feb 15 17:06:54 PST 2005

Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 February 2005 12:41 pm, Shawn Harrison <harrison at tbc.net>
> wrote:
>
>>So, we want lots of people to adopt FreeBSD. Who are they?

To me? They are users that are:

1. Fed up with the MS upgrades
2. Fed up with paying too much for software (apps and OS)
3. Looking for a viable alternative to the MS empire
4. NOT your average Windows user.

The OS, although geared for servers - does well (IMHO and experience) as
   a desktop PC.

As a desktop environment, we would need to ensure that the average
Windows user is aware that it's an OS NOT for him/her.

Nor should it ever be developed for Joe Windows-User. Windows was
created for users that tend not to care if they ever update/protect/etc.
the PC they are on. They don't want to know what a console is. The don't
care nor understand why Unix is almost always better then Windows. As
long as Joe Windows-User can point -n- click, that's about as much work
as they want to do.

You need to remember why Windows was created. To give the overall
population then mindless alternative to using a PC. Thanks to MS, we
have a dumbed-down society.

Do we really want to develop FreeBSD to be used by these groups of users
(No offense intended)?

I think not - for when you start to create an OS for the masses, you are
doing nothing more then creating a Windows Clone...

--
Best regards,
Chris

In any series of calculations, errors tend to occur
at the opposite end to the end at which you begin
checking for errors.