The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Sun Feb 13 08:09:01 PST 2005

Erich Dollansky wrote:
[doing some snipping again]

> The point is the lack of a company supporting FreeBSD like IBM
> does for Linux, is a reason for companies not to take FreeBSD
> as they cannot turn back to that company if things go wrong.
>
> All the potential user sees is currently this small group
> called 'core' which is obviously to small to give the same
> support like IBM - or any other huge company - could give.

Linux is controlled by Linus Torvalds, who clearly is outnumbered
by core by an order of magnitute. I fail to see why core
directing the project makes it impossible to gain support from
IBM or any other giant.

> Even if the support would be locally handled by some small
> company, the potential customer just wants to be able to call
> the big boy in case something goes the wrong way.

Very true. And to get some big boy to stand behind FreeBSD, I
think its vital that the projects improves its image from teenage
playground to industry strenght software.

> As mentioned before, I know that FreeBSD became what it is
> because core exists.

Also true. I think the development model of FreeBSD works very
well and see no need to change anything. But I do think that on
the surface, FreeBSD does a helluva job hiding how organized and
professional it really is, and I would like to change that.