The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Sat Feb 12 23:41:55 PST 2005

Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 02:30:59PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>

>> are you really saying that you have had experiences where FreeBSD was
>> rejected when it became clear that the project was steered by a small
>> group of developers elected from a larger group of developers?  That
>> is, was the rejection based on a description of the core group concept
>> specifically, or some larger issue of support?
>>

> I think with all that snipping - also done by me - my point got turned
> to something very different.
>
> The point is the lack of a company supporting FreeBSD like IBM does
> for Linux, is a reason for companies not to take FreeBSD as they
> cannot turn back to that company if things go wrong.
>
> All the potential user sees is currently this small group called
> 'core' which is obviously to small to give the same support like IBM -
> or any other huge company - could give.

This part makes no sense. Core is not (and will never be) for end user
support. This is like saying the executive officers of a company should
man the help desk phones. It is your job to provide support for your end
users or clients, the computer industry is now a service based industry.
You have to sell them on yourself and the services you have to offer,
FreeBSD is just a tool in your bag of tricks. till later....