New FreeBSD logo and website design

Bob Martin bob at buckhorn.net
Sat Feb 12 05:25:18 PST 2005

A rose, by any other name....

I'm doing my best to convince everyone in Texas to run FreeBSD. (It's
slow going!) Generally speaking, I don't run into "name" problems, but
it does happen, and the reaction is about what's been posted to the list
of late. To paraphase a comment in a meeting, "Pepsi Free is Pepsi with
all the good stuff taken out. Is that what BSD Free is?"

You have to know your audiance. If they are clueless, just tell them
that FreeBSD is an open source decendant of the UNIX sold by the
University of California at Berkeley. When they ask, tell them that UC
Berkeley stopped selling UNIX in the early 90's because of a law suit.

If they have a clue, a visit to Netcraft is in order. The names of the
big sites like Yahoo that run FreeBSD will get their attention. The top
100 uptime will keep it. The fact that Redmond likes us will help too.

And when all else fails, just call it 'BSD :-)

Bob Martin