New FreeBSD logo and website design

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Fri Feb 11 21:07:27 PST 2005

This is going to be a blast from the past, but...

What was the deal with the renaming that was going on in early 2000
when version 4.0 came out.

Up until then, all the CD's said "FreeBSD" then Walnut creek. The 4.0
CD set still said FreeBSD, but at the bottom of the CD graphic and
jewel case cover, it just said "BSD". The CD itself said BSD, Inc.

What was that all about? Does the FreeBSD org own the rights to using
just the short name of "BSD" when doing promotions?

Everyone on this list obviously loves FreeBSD, but how many have been
in a position at a company, where your uncomfortable talking about the
name of your core OS. People dont think twice about putting together a
proposal for management/clients and slapping the term Solaris or Linux
around. But if you put "FreeBSD" in that visio or ppt, your boss will
have kittens. When I was at Aetna, I converted a mail cluster from
Linux to FreeBSD (for performance and security reasons of course). The
only reason why I was able to do it was because I didn't tell anyone or
document it on our asset lists!

I'm just stating the obvious.
-john