SPAM: Score 3.3: Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Fri Feb 11 18:14:42 PST 2005

Johnson David wrote:

> Currently Windows rules the desktop world, even for diehard Unix shops. But
> that will not last forever. We need to start thinking about the desktop
> today. We need to stop the official discouragement of desktop FreeBSD.

MacOS X is the "Desktop BSD".  It is available today, and it works
better than anything else at being a "desktop".  Considering the sorry
state of integrated "desktops" on Unix today (i.e., Gnome and KDE) and
compare it with Windows, do you really think that will convince any
Windows user?  Windows really is bad enough already, why should they
change for a much worse user interface.  For those of us that have been
using X11 with various window managers for the last decade or more, that
isn't an issue -- we're used to a different way of working, but those
Windows types expect quite different things, which they'll only find in
MacOS, outside of Windows, for the forseeable future.