Logo Contest

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Feb 9 14:42:49 PST 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 04:27 pm, Shawn Harrison wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote [02/09/05 3:13 PM]:
> > On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> >> I was particularly pleased to read a comment on Daemon News that
> >> Beastie would remain the mascot and that the logo and mascot are
> >> being separated.  I am hopeful that this comment was accurate.
> >
> > The comment is accurate.  We'd like to get a logo we can provide to
> > companies that are willing to stick it on their products as
> > "supporting FreeBSD" -- while we all love the Daemon, we know that
> > not every company can stick it on their Ethernet card box or server
> > support web page.  The intent is to keep Beastie as the Mascot, and
> > you'll still see him all over the place.  I can't imagine that
> > FreeBSD t-shirts will stop holding him, let alone the large number
> > of web pages, CDROM distributions, and so on. And don't forget the
> > stuffed animal Beasties :-).
>
> I'm glad to hear this, because the announcement paragraph about
> "religious sensitivities" would certainly lead one to a different
> conclusion. If what you're saying is honest, then that paragraph is
> entirely beside the point.
>
> The real point is to have a professional looking _logo_ to
> _complement_ (not replace) the cute mascot. That makes sense.
> Replacing the mascot with something else for the reasons cited in
> that paragraph does not make sense.
>
> --
> Shawn Harrison

I think that hits the nail on the head; but that's not the message that
got out.   I've been reading the fallout both on this list and
freebsd-questions.  There's a lot of unnecessary heat out there.

Can an "official someone" send out an official message emphasizing the
following:

1. Beastie is the mascot.  This will remain unchanged.

2. We need a professional logo, separately and regardless of PC
(Political Correctness) issues.

I would suggest that the message go out to freebsd-questions (as an
answer to appropriate threads) in addition to the regular announcement
channels.

Thanks,

Andrew Gould