Logo Contest

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Wed Feb 9 14:29:55 PST 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 01:52 pm, Ceri Davies <ceri at submonkey.net>
wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 01:49:53PM -0800, Peter Kieser wrote:
> > When the Project decides that political correctness is more
> > important than a tradition dating back over 20 years, something is
> > wrong.
> >
> > Personally I really don't care if a user selects another OS based
> > on the fact that we have a devil as our mascot. They are better off
> > on another OS anyways, because they're likely to cause problems --
> > because people with that kind of attitude are likely to bring up
> > other "issues" with our "product".
>
> Then you won't care if we have a mascot that isn't a devil, will you?

The point is that the FreeBSD project is allowing people to dictate
terms which they have no business dictating. As I pointed out in an
earlier post, many businesses and schools use a devil as the mascot,
sometimes with a direct connection to the Christian archetype of Satan.
FreeBSD's mascot, in contrast, is in reference to Greek mythology, and
is a play on words. People who are - sorry to say it - too thick to
realize the reference, or who are too stubborn to accept it upon
hearing it, are probably not the best people from which to take advice
about the project's image.

OTOH, if this is actually about the *logo*, as in the lettering of the
name, then that's a different subject. But I have never heard anyone
voice a religious objection to that, and the original post implied that
the mascot was what was being changed, even though it said 'logo.'

- jt