Logo Contest

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 9 13:14:44 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Andrew L. Gould wrote:

> I'd like to voice my support for the logo competition.
>
> I was particularly pleased to read a comment on Daemon News that Beastie
> would remain the mascot and that the logo and mascot are being
> separated.  I am hopeful that this comment was accurate.
>
> ...now, if I could only draw......

The comment is accurate.  We'd like to get a logo we can provide to
companies that are willing to stick it on their products as "supporting
FreeBSD" -- while we all love the Daemon, we know that not every company
can stick it on their Ethernet card box or server support web page.  The
intent is to keep Beastie as the Mascot, and you'll still see him all over
the place.  I can't imagine that FreeBSD t-shirts will stop holding him,
let alone the large number of web pages, CDROM distributions, and so on.
And don't forget the stuffed animal Beasties :-).

For entertainment value, I should scan in the anonymous letter I received
from someone in Kansas a few years ago.  It compared the Beastie to using
Osama Bin Laden as the FreeBSD logo, and was CC'd to my company and
research sponsors. It's a classic :-).  Of course, it wasn't appreciated
at work because this was a bit after the anthrax scare, and anonymous
mailed envelopes weren't real popular.

Robert N M Watson