FreeBSD and the future

Sigmascape1 at cs.com Sigmascape1 at cs.com
Thu Oct 14 07:37:42 PDT 2004

Hi,

I am a periodic poster on this list. Over time, I am sure this question/issue has been brought up before, but I am very interested in alternatives to not only Windows but also Linux. Obviously, in terms of open source news and info, Linux gets a huge amount of press. I'd like to see FreeBSD compared against certain Linux distros, such as SuSE and Mandrake in terms of ease-of-use, installation complexity and application availability. I know there are tons of apps available to Linux users, but I also know that there are many FreeBSD ports of the same apps.

In the past, my biggest issue with FreeBSD was the installation procedure. Not being a UNIX guru, I bailed on several attempts to get FreeBSD up and running. This was 2 years ago, I'm sure a lot of the issues have been straightened out.

Thanks!!!

MLF

Sigmascape Interactive
www.sigmascape.com