SATA disk experience

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Sun Nov 28 18:43:46 PST 2004

I have just borrowed a brand new Pentium 4 3.6 GHz machine from the
office, intending to use it as an open source demonstration machine.

To my surprise, it has no IDE disk, only a SATA drive, which I have not
used before personally.

Fedora Core 1 and Suse Enterprise Server completely failed to install,
complaining about "no disk drive".

FreeBSD 5.3 installed perfectly, and runs like the wind!  Hats off again
to the FreeBSD team.

Woo Hoo!  And I second that; FBSD's a great thing, even if
the mascot looks evil sometimes... <heh! j/k ... >

Wonder if you should have cross-posted this to advocacy@?
Not too late to forward it, if you want to ....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kevin - here it is.  And I like the mascot,
although I don't think I would dare wear my FreeBSD T-shirt in the red
states!