Advocacy on ZDNet

Charon charon at cimbali.dssrg.curtin.edu.au
Tue Mar 30 05:39:06 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:13:53PM +0200, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> The correct way to do this would be to try to post some BSD-related article

	One of the attributes of the zdnet forum is that its not really
	geared towards this kind of delivery mechanism. ZDNet posts and
	readers comment. The only kind of advocacy possible is through
	their commenting system.

> there. Perhaps you could find an interesting topic (only not, for god's
> sake, "yahoo & ports" or "open is secure, net portable and free just rocks",

	Yeh I know what you mean. 'Have a nice day' is supposedly an innocuous
	and friendly term but after the 20th sales assistant has said the same
	thing it begins to grate.

> Fueling a flamewar by posting 150th comment in 50th thread, well, it matches
> the definition of "to get people involved", but is that "advocacy process"
> really?

	In this case the thread is small enough and it hasnt degenerated into
	a flame war. Hopefully it will remain reasoned rhetoric.