Desktop FreeBSD

peter lageotakes plageotakes at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 22:48:49 PST 2004

http://bsdvault.net/article.php?sid=776&mode=thread&order=0
> > Interesting desktop/server discussion with mention
> of
> > a new installer.
> >

> I've looked at ekkobsd, and well. Right now it's
> just OpenBSD with a new name and a bunch of services
> enabled by default.
> I don't see them actually contributing anything to
> the source base, and with that I don't understand
> why they are using the name 'EkkoBSD'. Too much
> seperation.
>
> OpenBSD isn't the best choice for a desktop, as it
> is the slowest of the BSDs. FreeBSD with ULE is
> DEFINATELY the way to go.
>
> When EkkoBSD comes out with its GUI installer I'll
> definately want to have another look. I still think
> that their 'enable everything' methodology is wrong.
>
> > FreeBSD has an excellent package for a workstation
> in
> > the ports collection: instant-workstation-1.0_5
> > I have not personnaly used that package, however;
> > examining the requirements for the package to get
> > installed, it does contain a great deal of tools
> and
> > utilities that would make it an excellent
> candidate
> > for a workstation on any corporate desktop.
> >
> > Is popularity a means to attract Users, Developers
> or
> > Commercial Support? Is this the avenue that you
> are
> > pursuing? Just a little curious, just for argument
> > sake.
> >

> Popularity is a means to attract Users, Developers,
> and Commerical Support (although this one is
> definately last in my list). FreeBSD is just such a
> capable and amazing OS, it bothers me everytime I
> see someone turn down the chance to learn/use it
> because it was seen as too difficult to setup/use.
>
> Again, I'm not asking that we change the existing
> FreeBSD layout, but merely make an additional CD
> that was specifically geared towards workstations.
>
> Besides, Linux exploited the fact that BSD was in a
> legal battle back in the day, what reason do we have
> to not take back what was rightfully ours? :)
>
> > Pete

I do agree that FreeBSD is an amazing Operating System
and would be a great way to go for a desktop system.
Various *BSD have their strengths.  I referenced
EkkoBSD for a potential installer, just tossing out
some ideas.  Please keep in mind that I do enjoy the
current installer, I wouldn't change it.

I still have to disagree about file formats which
equate to vendor lock-in (IMHO).  I will also agree
that a little more publicity wouldn't hurt anything
either.  Being more in the public could do some
benefit to the community.

Once again these are only my opinions.