Desktop FreeBSD

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Mon Mar 8 04:05:29 PST 2004

Joao Schim [Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 12:38:41PM +0100]:
> I really doubt the gnome or kde guys ever heard of usability.

I really doubt you ever tried to create a user-friendly, open, documented
software (no matter, GUI or command-line). Try to do that, then come back
criticizing other people's work - I wonder if you will be presenting same
attitude by that time.

> I'm not saying windows is all that, definitely not, but kde/gnome are just
> a nightmare for not-so-technical users.

There is KDE Quality team, maybe you should submit the usability problems
you've found to them. Your opinion can change the situation. Ranting is not
an answer.

> Besides that i can't really imagine why anybody would still believe that
> the 'windows method' of seeing files as icons and such are the way to go.

It's actually 'Xerox method', and it is a bit older, than MS DOS, for example.

> Lets just take that and put it in a new BSD licensed desktop environment.
> Or atleast build a solid API for UI calls system wide.

... or at least stop trolling, while doing nothing useful.