Installation - More user friendly

Donald Turnbull dmturnbull at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 12:57:14 PST 2004

Wow !!

Why you guys getting all offensive?  I'm just asking a question.

Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:49:14AM -0800, Donald Turnbull wrote:

> Does the folks of FreeBSD has any plans to make installation more user friendly for the newbie or the non-tech minded user for example like Red Hat or Mandrake Linux installation? The point for technology is to make people lives easier right?

Oooh. That's a can of worms you're opening there. Careful lest it
blows up in your face.

Plans exist aplenty. Talk is cheap. See, for instance the libh
project stuff -- http://www.freebsd.org/projects/libh.html -- which
was a nice idea in many ways but has entirely failed to produce any
results for about the last two years. What is missing are concrete
pieces of code: applications that work. If you think you can do
better than what we have presently, you are very welcome to submit
samples of works in progress.

On the other hand, your contention that FreeBSD installation is
user-unfriendly particularly for the nieve user, is not entirely born
out in practice. Most people take a few minutes to get used to the
way it works, and then find that they can navigate around the menus
and get things done very effectively.

You'll also have a great deal of difficulty persuading experienced
users that they need a glitzy X based installer which won't work over
a serial line connection, and that doesn't permit the same flexibility
as the current sysinstall(8). Style palls very quickly unless it is
backed up by substance, but substance makes up for any amount of lack
of style.

Anyway, this is a topic more suitable for
freebsd-advocacy at ... Reply-to set appropriately.

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 26 The Paddocks
Savill Way