FreeBSD Most wanted

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Fri Mar 5 21:48:54 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:27:01 -0500 (EST)
Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, John Martinez wrote:
>
> > I love FreeBSD, but the applications it runs need a little
> > catching up to do if it wants to compete with its cousin. On that
> > sort of desktop, anyway.
>
> What cousin are you referring to?  Linux?  Give us a few examples of
> missing applications please.

The only two thinks I can think of is something along the lines of
video4linux... but once the new huapage drivers make it into the base,
I think that will really help... There is also a effort going on to
get something like v4l on FBSD, I forget link thought...

It would take a bit of work, but getting Cinelerra working would be
nice... toyed with it a bit under under linux emu, but had sound
problem and don't remember the performance being to impressive...
Probally should give it a whirl agian, since it has been a awhile now
since I last tried it...

The only real play that needs improvement if a bit of video afaik...

BTW while on this topic, has any one ever seen small embedable boards
with decent graphics, has firewire, and is not badly designed(badly
designed meaning requires atx ot at ps connector... such things remove
all embedability...)