FreeBSD Most wanted

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Fri Mar 5 18:19:59 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:28:21 -0800
Johnson David <DavidJohnson at Siemens.com> wrote:

> On Friday 05 March 2004 02:46 pm, Vulpes Velox wrote:
>
> > > I love FreeBSD, but the applications it runs need a little
> > > catching up to do if it wants to compete with its cousin. On
> > > that sort of desktop, anyway.
> >
> > LOL, for home use... not really...
>
> Time to insert a plug for KDE. While FreeBSD is not ready for home
> use due to system administration stuff, the desktop is ready.

Si, a few small programs few small programs for tweaking some things
would be useful... best provided as port thought... something a front
end for tweaking some of the sysctl variables, would be useful.

> Juk is comparable to iTunes. It's not identical to iTunes,
> especially in the "pay to download" department, but for your typical
> user it's more than adequate. Ripping audio is as simple as dragging
> ogg and mp3 files out of the CD directory. Drag them right on to Juk
> if you want! This is easier than Windows by a long shot. I've had a
> Windows user's jaw hit the floor when he saw that.
>
> There is no reason we have to hang our heads in shame whenever the
> Windows or Mac desktops are mentioned. While FreeBSD can't do
> everything the other guy can, don't forget that the other guy can't
> do everything FreeBSD with KDE/GNOME can.

/me personally wishes ppl would stop focusing on those two when it
comes to desktops and write apps that work nicely outside of them as
well as with them...