FreeBSD Most wanted

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Fri Mar 5 13:59:14 PST 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 02:26 pm, Daniela wrote:

> IMHO more speed can never harm.

This is where knowledge and experience disagree with each other. It is
the age old conflict between "theory" and "practice".

> I see that a lot of people nowadays are fiddling around with video
> and graphics processing, DVD ripping and the like.

And I'm personally fiddling around with realtime medical diagnostic
imaging. Vastly more important than DVD ripping! Experience has told us
that there are more important things than speed. One is maintainability
of the code. High level languages are easier to maintain than
assembler. Another is time to market. Code that takes a week to write
in C/C++ might take a month or two in assembler. Finally there is
portability! That's because your code will live on longer than you
expect it to. If its assembler code, I guarantee you that it will live
on longer than the chip its written for...

David