FreeBSD Most wanted

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Fri Mar 5 13:31:43 PST 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 18:09, Johnson David wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2004 10:15 pm, Daniela wrote:
> > I'm not speaking of your average code, I'm speaking of high-speed
> > assembly language programs.
>
> Looking back on this thread, I confirmed my memory that it was somewhat
> on topic with the applications that keep people from dumping Windows.
> When I look around at what people are using on Windows here at work, I
> don't see any high-speed requirements. Intead I see Word, PowerPoint,
> Outlook, etc. These don't need the incremental speed increase that hand
> coded assembly gives you.

IMHO more speed can never harm.
I see that a lot of people nowadays are fiddling around with video and
graphics processing, DVD ripping and the like. These are areas where
optimization is critical, because if two programs deliver equal quality,
professionals will always choose the one that is much faster than the other.
Newbies will of course go with the easier solution, but user interfaces are
not what I care about, because I only make the high-speed libraries and let
someone else do the UI.