FreeBSD Most wanted

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Tue Mar 2 11:17:39 PST 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 06:38 pm, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Just for grins, lets build a list of "features" that we feel FreeBSD
> needs in order to be on track with the other guys. (this is spawned
> from the recent grog thread)

I'm going to harp a bit on the "desktop". From my perspective, the
desktop drives the rest of the market. When Windows is on the desktop
of every corporate executive then you're going to find Windows in every
other niche as well. It's not because these decision makers think
Windows is better, it's just that Windows is the ONLY thing that they
know.

So I think that better desktop support in FreeBSD is essential. This
doesn't mean dumbing down the system.

I could list a bunch of features here, but I think the most important
thing is to simply recognize that the desktop is a valid place to put
FreeBSD.

David

p.s. If the word "desktop" makes you uncomfortable, think "workstation"
instead.