training (was Resourceful BSD/Linux Network Administrator)

twig les twigles at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 10:08:07 PDT 2004

The
> quality of Unix
> training is SHOCKING. I mean, truly, truly awful.

I'd like to take this opportunity to plug the junior college
system in California.  While your mileage may vary as to the
know-how of the instructor and the quality of the course
material, I took a Unix admin class last year that was awesome
and it was dirt cheap - I'm talking roughly $200 for the book
(Linux Administration Handbook) and fees all together.  The
instructor was a veteran admin who taught everything from the
command line and spent time on the basics like vi, run levels,
etc., and de-emphasized vendor tools like admintool and
Mandrake's doohicky.  He used RH for the class but I did
everything on FBSD and someone else used Sol8 and everything
worked with small mods.  Here is his new class:

http://www1.socccd.cc.ca.us/eservices/ClassDetail.asp?sectionID=22395&termid=20043

This JC is building a multi-semester Unix program to match the
MCSE stuff they teach.  This is a potent way to use an already
existing infrastructure to expose people to *nix whose only
experience thus far is with MS (who pays JCs to plaster their
students with MS classes).

=====
With a few exceptions, secrecy is deeply incompatible with
democracy and with science.
     --Carl Sagan