training (was Resourceful BSD/Linux Network Administrator)

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Sun Jul 4 05:10:26 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 06:52:40PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I am meeting with LPI at the end of this month. LPI has "Linux" in their
> name, but they hope to focus not specifically on Linux, but more on
> certification for open source software, like Apache, LAMP, Perl, etc.

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Seriously, go look at the quality
of their content and accreditations. The traditional accreditation model
does not hold up when it comes to open source. LPI are trying to position
themselves as the "Vendor" in a vendor-certification, whereas it should be
those involved in the project who is doing that.

> I will be talking with them about Apache mainly, but also be discussing
> *BSD certifications. And discussion working with them to run a job task
> analysis.

I strongly suspect that a user could get just as much learning out of
reading the Handbook and a few other resources as they would with any of
these courses, yet they would pay a huge amount of money for it, just to get
some letters after their name that most employers don't recognise. Dangerous
game in my opinion.

I've posted this three times now, but nobody at all seems to realise this is
a wiki and they can add to it or edit it, but I think you might find some
interesting reading in:

http://vagueware.com/Open_Training

--
Paul Robinson