Reply to V. Velox & questions about ``evangelism''

Bob Martin bob at buckhorn.net
Tue Jan 20 03:50:51 PST 2004

For some reason, I feel compelled to mention debian's apt program here.
It's very much the same as the port upgrade tools, except it defaults to
installing the package instead of building the port. Nice software, and
every bit as functional and robust as the ports.

I've not see my "pet reason for FBSD vs Linux in this thread, or at
least mentioned in detail. Linux doesn't have an equivalent to MFC. If a
cool new driver comes out, you have to change kernel's to get it. Far
more importantly, if a nasty bug is found in your kernel, you'll have to
change kernels to get rid of it. As Linux has matured, that's less of an
issue than it was in the not too distant past, but you could still end
up breaking something important to get a bug fix.

Bob Martin