Reply to V. Velox & questions about ``evangelism''

Linh Pham question+advocacy at closedsrc.org
Sat Jan 17 17:42:34 PST 2004

On 2004-01-16 16:26 -0800, Matt Olander <matt at offmyserver.com> wrote:

# good question. key points I always touch on are:
#
# ports collection
# ease of administration
# professional development cycle
# single point of contact (freebsd.org)
# comprehensive documentation
# high load capability
# source code maturity
# stability/reliability

The other key points that I like to mention about FreeBSD include:

Standardized file system and directory hierarchy
(fairly) common configuration file locations across installs

when compared to the numerous Linux distributions.

In almost all cases (when applications and services are installed via
Ports or packages), configuration files and file locations are the same
across all installs. No more trying to find out where Apache configs are
located between Linux distributions... ditto for OpenSSH, dhclient,
BIND, and not to mention, various MTAs.

I guess it can be folded into ease of administration... :)

Linh Pham                                question+advocacy at closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                          http://closedsrc.org
Apprentice Manager Editor and Writer           http://www.daemonnews.org
Courage: The things I do for love | And So Western Civilization Crumbles