FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Thu Dec 23 13:36:07 PST 2004

CCing this to chat and removing www, arch and questions, because my
response isn't much more than that ...

On Thursday 23 December 2004 04:40 am, "Ryan Sommers"
<ryans at gamersimpact.com> wrote:
> Going to reply to the whole thread so far.
>
> jsha said:
> > 1. Not only is the logo misleading (associating evil) but it also
> > looks like something 10-year-olds could produce in Paint Shop Pro
> > ten years
>
> Although I don't like the tone of the other replies, I agree with
> their sentiment, beasty is as much a part of FreeBSD as the family
> dog is a part of the family.

Speaking of which, I remember a CD package of FreeBSD that had a photo
of a fire hydrant on the cover. Think it was 4.10, but can't find it in
a search. Personally, I think it looks kinda cool, sort of like the
packaging on a game rather than an OS, and it does have sort of a ...
kitchy feel, I guess (maybe that wasn't intended), but the subject of
the photo doesn't make a whole lot of sense ... or maybe just to me.
I've always wondered about that. Anyone know the significance, in case
I'm missing something?

- jt