Slashdot rejects "BSD is NOT dying" article

Rus Foster rghf at fsck.me.uk
Sun Sep 28 09:29:48 PDT 2003

> A little while ago, my slides from the BSDCon FreeBSD BoF, including the
> "FreeBSD is not dying" section were submitted to Slashdot, and apparently
> dropped.  For those interested, the slides are at:
>
>   http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/20030910-bsdbof/
>
> These include a copy of the netcraft growth chart, graphs for commit
> rates, features, etc.  I ran the stats for the BoF to try and get an
> accurate picture of the direction the project was going in, and understand
> how our agressive release schedule impacts releases.  The results were
> fascinating -- the bumpiness of the graph is just one of the artifacts of
> the release schedule.

It is a shame as its a rumour that is taken as truth when BSD is still
growing. A recent magazine article here in the UK in "Linux Format" was
quoted as saying that most people go to BSD after Linux. Now I'm not sure
if that is true or not.

However as fun little aside today Slashdot posted a "Linux is Dying" type
article from the results of the recent Netcraft survey

Rus
--
w: http://www.jvds.com  | Free Debian UNIX Shell Accounts
e: rghf at jvds.com        | http://www.jvds.com/freeshells