Rumour Mill on FreeBSD Death Still ....

Mick Ireland michael.ireland at myrealbox.com
Sat Sep 27 06:37:52 PDT 2003

Greetings !!!

I sent away for a book, FreeBSD - The Complete Reference, to help
me understand more about this OS, from an Internet site.

No problems, got the book all okay, and there was everything I wanted -
except that I was given a "Powered by Linux" computer badge !!

So, I sent back an e-mail, thanking them for their prompt service
and also a snide remark about their penguin badge :

"G'day !!!

"Just want to let you know that my parcel  FreeBSD - The Complete Reference
- has arrived and all in one piece too. :-)

"Though why you would send me a Linux badge .... ;-)"

I got this as their response :

"We did send you a Linux badge because we heard rumours that
BSD is dying. We want you to be aware of any close alternatives in case
death is imminent."

Now, is that rumour still making the rounds ??  I mean, if it was only the
people on these lists that are the only users of FreeBSD forever, it will
still last longer than BeOS and such !!!

As such, I do not know whether to be amused or annoyed by their reponse !
Thank you,

Bro. Michael Ireland, Australia.

"Yes, the Jews are to be put next to the Arabs - I am sure they
have a lot to talk about."
-- The Devil sorting out seating arrangements.