Sorry.

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Wed Sep 17 10:53:20 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 10:29 am, Person, Roderick wrote:

> I have the same setup at home. I wish I could at work, but this place
> is too M$ dependent and everyone hates it!! If I could find a way to
> run Delphi and Terminal Server on FreeBSD, I switch at work too!

My company builds medical ultrasound systems. Traditionally we were a
UNIX shop and everyone had a Sparc station. But after a buyout and
several reorgs, we're now a Windows-only shop trying to do embedded
UNIX development. Hah!

I am so much more productive using FreeBSD+KDE rather than Windows for
embedded UNIX development that it's not even funny. We still have our
old Sun Ultra10s, and simply exporting my DISPLAY lets me use
FrameMaker, Clearcase and ClearQuest under FreeBSD. OpenOffice handles
most MSOffice documents just fine. Korganizer keeps me organized. The
only thing I need Windows for is setting up meetings with Outlook
Calendar. But since I'm not a manager, I don't have to do that but once
a month or so. If I could figure out a way to convince IT to turn on
Outlook Web Access without letting them know what I want it for, I
could dump Windows completely.

David