FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Tue Sep 16 14:07:42 PDT 2003

twig les wrote:

>>What in God's name does glib have to do with websites or
>>professionalism? What in God's name is "confusacating"? Do you
>>know what
>>glib is? Ack!
>>

>Hahaha, glib is also an adjective meaning something like
>"slick".  It's not just a library.  The other word confusacates me.
>
>=====
>Emo is what happens when the glee club goes punk.

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition disagrees.

Main Entry: *glib*    Pronunciation Guide <javascript:pronWin()>
Pronunciation: glib
Function: /adjective/
Inflected Form(s): *glib·ber*; *glib·best*
Etymology: probably modification of Low German /glibberig/ slippery
Date: 1584
*1 a* *:* marked by ease and informality *: NONCHALANT
<http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com/cgi-bin/collegiate?book=Dictionary&va=nonchalant>*
*b* *:* showing little forethought or preparation *: OFFHAND
<http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com/cgi-bin/collegiate?book=Dictionary&va=offhand>*
</glib/ answers> *c* *:* lacking depth and substance *: SUPERFICIAL
<http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com/cgi-bin/collegiate?book=Dictionary&va=superficial>*
</glib/ solutions to knotty problems>
*2* /archaic/ *: SMOOTH
<http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com/cgi-bin/collegiate?book=Dictionary&va=smooth>,
SLIPPERY
<http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com/cgi-bin/collegiate?book=Dictionary&va=slippery>*
*3* *:* marked by ease and fluency in speaking or writing often to the
point of being insincere or deceitful <a /glib/ politician>
- *glib·ly* /adverb/
- *glib·ness* /noun/

While this definition may describe RedHat's site (haha), I don't think
it fits in the context. Sure 'slick' can have that connotation, but not
when it's overused in that context.

I also admit that I forgot that 'glib' was a valid word. ;)

Anyway, that's not my point.

Point is that I think that the people who say FreeBSD needs a face lift
of sorts are right. But I also think the current page does its job well.
So why don't people stop discussing and start doing? :-D

--Devon