FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Mon Sep 15 02:03:04 PDT 2003

Randi Harper wrote:
> On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 04:25  AM, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg
> wrote:
>
>> Randi Harper wrote:
>>
>>> Just my 2 cents, but I love the site the way it is. It only takes me
>>> 10 seconds to find whatever I'm looking for. People that judge
>>> FreeBSD by it's website, well, they can go back to their flash and
>>> glam Microsoft or RedHat sites. As far as I can tell, those people
>>> are going to be the ones that ask questions on the questions@ mailing
>>> lists without looking at the documentation first. That's about the
>>> level of stupidity and laziness involved.
>>> Randi Harper
>>> sektie at freebsdgirl.com
>>> http://freebsdgirl.com
>>

>> I have used BSD for over 6 years, I have done hundreds of
>> installations, I manage a lot of mission critical BSD systems and I
>> frequently *answer* questions on the questions@ mailinglist.
>> Still, I have several times been forced to revert to linux or even
>> windows based solutions, simply because I was not able to impress the
>> corporate suits enough to make them choose BSD. If you have ever been
>> up against the commercial powers of linux or m$, you would know that
>> the freebsd.org website will probably set you back several points
>> instead of helping you promote your beliefs.
>>
>> Agreed, a lot of the people we scare away are probably the lazy and
>> stupid ones you describe, but keep in mind that they are not the only
>> one that gets scared away. Corporate suits are often very easily
>> convinced by nice layouts and a flashy first impression, and after all
>> they are the ones making the big decisions.
>>
>> --
>
> I disagree. I work for one of the larger web-hosting companies out
> there, and we have a large number of FreeBSD solutions. I've only worked
> at one company that didn't use FreeBSD, and they were a small startup
> that dealt a lot with java (3 years ago). I'm not going to say "if your
> company doesn't like FreeBSD's website, find a new job", because I know
> how few and far between good jobs are, but the website isn't the end all
> for presenting a new solution. I suggest pie charts, or things that
> blink. :)
>
> Good lord, I just used the word "solution" twice in one paragraph. Maybe
> I do belong with the suits.
>

> Randi Harper
>
> sektie at freebsdgirl.com
> http://freebsdgirl.com

I work for one of the largest callcenter companys in Europe, and we
do have a significant number of FreeBSD installations. Still, I cant
help feeling we would rely more on FreeBSD if it just had a more
proffesional image.
Pie charts and blinking things only goes that far, being able to
show a good looking website would help alot, especially when youre
up against Red Hat or SuSe.
And honestly, FreeBSD have a lot of advantages to show, the only
problem is that we do not use them as effectively as we could.