FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

Nigel Weeks nigel at e-easy.com.au
Sun Sep 14 18:16:15 PDT 2003

> I like this, but I'm wondering if the layout uses some kind of
> database?  Or are they just regular files?
>
> --
> Tom Rhodes

It the moment, it's regular files, but that'd be a pain to administer.
I was planning to building a structure where directories contain a symlink
back to a central application file(php, etc), so that from a
broswer/mirroring system, etc., it appears as standard files, but it's
generated from a database.

Sure, big traffic may result in huge database loads, so the database server
may actually be private, and it's wget'ed to the public site every 5 minutes
or so.

I dunno. I've had very little interest in this.

I'm very tired of convincing people that FreeBSD is a professional,
enterprise-grade OS, when they go to the freebsd.org site, and say it looks
like a college project.

If only a site existed that (I hate to say it, it seems so shallow), looked
more like redhat.com, and less like a quick hack-together.

I know the FreeBSD site is great! It's quick, it's links are set out nicely,
but it isn't attractive to the big-end of town.
This is a very big failing. It needs to be addressed.

I'm just trying to help by coming up with ideas, instead of shooting down
others,and complaining all the time.

The sooner FreeBSD takes on a professional image, the sooner it'll get
accepted and treated as a professional solution.

Yes, it's wrong, but it's how life is.

N.