FreeBSD vs Linux on TechTV September 2, 7pm EDT (Live)

Matt Olander matt at offmyserver.com
Tue Sep 2 01:29:09 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:22:54AM +0200, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> I hope these boxes are preconfigured. See if you can fit ports in
> anywhere... also see if you can fit in the FS structure. Those are two
> things that go unnoticed and are two things that Linux has HUGE problems
> with -- packages suck and there's really no standardized filesystem.
> Installing and configuring packages is a nightmare. I'd suggest
> installing something from ports (I dunno, blackbox or xmame or
> something) and display how orderly it goes :). It can't hurt to show
> that FBSD Is Consistent.

yup, that's the plan. working on the box now. we had originally planned
a server 'shootout' but I think both the linux guys and the TechTV
producers wanted something more 'fun'

> Unfortunately, we're going head to head with a kernel that's being used
> in a lot of desktop-oriented things. There's no way FBSD will win a
> desktop battle... especially not when the Linux guys break out VMware 4
> -- which is one of a few apps that FBSD can't emulate due to its kernel
> hooks.

yeah, true. hopefully, they didn't think of that ;)
I tried working with the transgaming.com folks to get some windows games
going, but they hadn't tested on FreeBSD for a few revs and it didn't
fly...

cheers,
-matt