A case of FreeBSD users shooting all FreeBSD users in the foot?

Samy Al Bahra samy at kerneled.com
Sat Oct 11 07:33:49 PDT 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:15:20 -0500
Jonathan <j.e.drews at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>  The "If you ask advice, you'll get polite versions of 'RTFM' mostly."
>  may very well come from the #freebsd irc channel, on freenode.net. I
>  have gone in there once or twice and witnessed  really rude behavior.
> #freebsd is an excellent reason not to use FreeBSD. I would not dare
> ask a question there; I think it's run by professional (l337) sysadmin
> guys who are into sadism.
Give EFnet #FreeBSD a try then :)

In all seriousness, the channel is run pretty fairly (meaning trolls are
usually kicked off the channel), sane questions are answered. Yes, that
is right, usually answered with links to documentation. The channel
operators will ban or kick out a user if he repeatedly ignores these
references (or is rude, etc...).

I realize that any channel called #*FreeBSD* does represent a chunk of
the FreeBSD user community. Freenode and its operators has taken major
steps in improving the channel's friendliness (from a BOFH channel to
a more friendly one)...

Eithercase Jonathan, -advocacy is not the best place to discuss the way
that #FreeBSD at Freenode is run. Please take it to the channel operators
or FreeNode opers.
--
| Samy Al Bahra | samy at kerneled.com |