Time to learn basic for experience person?

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Fri Oct 3 13:14:10 PDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Stacy Olivas wrote:

> >Have a good friend that inheritted 3 FreeBSD servers. He is considering to
> >change the OS because of the lack of in-house knowlege.
> >
> >I am thinking on offering to go to their office and show him and his team
> >the basics. Their background is Novell Netware and Windows 2K.
>
> Hmm....
>
> What you could also do is set them up "virtual play systems" running under
> vmware or Virtual PC

My friend is completely responsable for IT at that place so I think he
could just get one or two machines for me to show him how to recreate
whatever functionality the machines are doing.

> If the systems aren't huge, you could possibly even use a program like Ghost
> 4 Unix (http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/g4u/) and make a complete
> backup copy the systems.  That way, if they are broken, they can be
> restored.

Thanks for link. Something like this could be used to give them an extra
sense of security that if they ever mess up their production systems as
long as they have done a backup to another drive, they can always bring
the system up.