what's unix and what's not

Nigel Weeks nigel at e-easy.com.au
Mon Nov 24 18:35:36 PST 2003

If you're after 'SSI' (Single Server Image), then you're in for some work on
FreeBSD.

The patches from the Mosix group could be ported, but it'd be hard work.
DragonFlyBSD has a distant goal to include between-machine messaging for
process migration, but I'd say you need one now.

If they'd handle a master/slave cluster, MPI, PVM, Ganglia(for monitoring),
and the new framework under Seti at home(BOINC) will run with the least amount
of work.

Out of the box:
Clusterit (/usr/ports/net/clusterit) gives some handy functionailty.
PVM (/usr/ports/net/pvm) runs brilliantly
MPI (/usr/ports/net/lam, /usr/ports/net/mpich) are popular, powerful methods

I'm into clusters too. I can't wait to do a `top` on a FreeBSD box, and see
processors 0 - 63 busy...

Ps. I'm not calling you a zealot. Just be careful recommending to others too
loudly.
It's a quick and easy way to get discredited.

Pps. I have an Israeli heritage. They write great code.

N.