SCO goes after BSD?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 18 17:10:38 PST 2003

On Wednesday, 19 November 2003 at  0:31:16 +0100, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 23:24, Michal Pasternak wrote:
>> So, who would be attacked by SCO in case they decide to run against BSD
>> systems? Which one of big-bucks-worldwide-famous corporations would it be?
>>
>> No hype, no media, no big corporation to attack - no profit for them.
>
> The article seems to imply that by attacking the AT&T/BSDi settlement, SCO
> would have more power over Linux source code (as some linux source code also
> comes from BSD). That is their angle. Also, they could attack Apple (?).

It would be nice if you'd quote the text which you find suspicious.
What I see is:

  (link) Newsletter Sign Up
  Nothing for you to see here. Please move along.

>> If profit is all they want, they will not attack BSD systems. Why should
>> they?
>>
>> But.
>>
>> What if they want something else - eg. what if they are only a tool,
>> financed by some other corporation, which has to spread FUD and eventually
>> make problems for whole opensource software?

Yes, this seems reasonable.  They don't need to attach BSD in
court--indeed, they'd have difficulty finding somebody to serve the
writ to.  Also, less than two years ago they explicitly went beyond
the terms of the settlement and released all the disputed code under a
BSD-like licence.  See http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/ for more
details.

So why do this?  I'm currently guessing that SCO needs a steady stream
of press announcements to maintain their stock price.  My personal bet
is that IBM is going to drag out the case forever, like they've done
before.  SCO can't afford that; they'll self-destruct.

Greg