SCO goes after BSD?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 18 14:02:18 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:50:34 +0000
Ceri Davies <setantae at submonkey.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:19:07PM +0100, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> > From http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/11/18/1742216 :
> >
> > (about the teleconference today)
> >  I, for one, don't care how SCO pays its counsel. But I do care about
> > something new that came out of the teleconference.
> >
> > SCO is going to attack the 1994 AT&T/BSD settlement. That's a very interesting
> > item that the few favored analysts (and only a select few journalists) who
> > were allowed to ask questions failed to pick up on. Here's our take on why
> > SCO is embarking on this new course of action:
> >
> > (read the article for more info)
> >
> > What to think of this?
>
> It's difficult to say when the only quote on the page is "broad and
> deep".  I would rather see exactly what SCO said regarding the 1994
> settlement before making my mind up, but my gut reaction is that someone
> has been at the crack pipe again.

Following Ceri's lead here, I agree that an outcome is very unpredictable
at this time.  Although, I'm wondering how plausable it is to "attack"
something that happened almost ten years ago.  I could see that happening
if it was "unjust", but what merits "unjust" in a lawsuit of this kind?

I'm not a law student, or anything else but I had to give an opinion.

--
Tom Rhodes