the unix desktop was possible once

.VWV. victorvittorivonwiktow at interfree.it
Sun Nov 9 07:52:01 PST 2003

Bill Moran wrote:

> What would you need in the way of hosting to get this rolling?

I post the last message here about this matter, for further details it would
be better we post to 'freebsd-chat' or 'freebsd-stable'. Let me know what
you'll eventually choose.

In my opinion, the best thing would be an official FreeBSD desktop release
of the packages contained in 4.6.2 or 4.7, excluding gtk 2.x for a while,
which could be based either on a 4.x or on a 5.x operating system.
If this shouldn't seem realistic, the only way is the 'adoption' of the
desktop above by a private enterprise, because there is a lot to do to pack
an ordinated installation, ready for the end users. At the beginning, a free
hosting could also be useful.

I don't think it would be necessary to modify the installation tools, which
still work like a clock, rather than making a good choice of the useful
packages. 'End-user' should be intended for longer as a person who reads the
manuals and knows the command-line [better than me], on a unix system.

VITTORI