a public relations opportunity for BSD

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 20:07:12 PDT 2003

To many people (Including Brian Kernighan), the SCO vs IBM case
brought old memories from the BSD vs UNIX case. In the later
case linux emerged so I tend to agree there is nothing to be
happy about but I it is true that there is a good good PR
opportunity there.

Some miscellaneous thoughts I had... What will be the upgrade
path for SCO's Linux users? What will IBM use to complete AIX
now that their UNIX license will be revoked? For now I think
both companies will run far away from free software, but FreeBSD
is a viable option on both cases and if we had more people
pointing our fundamental advantages we could see BSD growing
even more.

just my $0.02

    Pedro.