what's unix and what's not

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Wed Dec 3 13:48:27 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 03:36:35PM +0100, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:36:43AM -0600, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:32:21 -0800
> > Milo Hyson <milo at cyberlifelabs.com> wrote:
> >
> > > It is my understanding that the Linux kernel was built from scratch. It
> > > may be patterned after UNIX, but it wasn't based on it. BSD, on the
> > > other hand, is derived (indirectly) from the original work by Ritchie
> > > and Thompson. Of course, I may be on crack....
> >
> > Yeah, more or less... it was mainly created as a minix clone, iirc.
>
> >From the data i have Minux was based on Unix v7 somewere in the mid 80
> because a profferor wasn't allowed to use Unix as an example to its
> students.
>
> Even if the code wasn't simply copied then it would still be based on
> apperence to Unix and have has serveral times where it imported BSD
> code. So way not call it Unix? It proberbly has a legal argument.
>
> I have a jpg (900K) and a psd (12M) file with every UNIX OS for those
> who like to have this.

I have instucted my server to protect images (i.e. only serving off
certain domains.)

I just googled on "unix history" and found this link. Its the same only
the quality is a lot better than my jpg and it got the year above.
This link bring you to the right date:
http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#05

--
Alex