Certification (was RE: realpath(3) et al) - jumping to -advocacy

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Thu Aug 14 15:11:53 PDT 2003

Well, I don't find configuring FreeBSD inherently esoteric. The filesystem
structure ensures that configuration files are in the right places. And when
you don't know where they are, it's relatively easy to find them: look where
they're expected. I find that with Linux, you have to look in the
refrigerator to find your car keys, so to speak. find / | grep carkeys
doesn't even work half the time.

The only thing I'd like to see happen here is that FreeBSD becomes as
advocated as RedHat -- no changes to the underlying system. It just needs to
be more widely accepted. I'm tired of the unbased criticisms I have to face
when discussing BSD. 99% of it is total BS, and something needs to happen
about it.

--Devon